Establishment of a Longitudinal Registry of COVID-19 ICU Patients in Qom City, Iran: Retrospective Chart Review and Analysis of Laboratory Data
Keywords:COVID-19, ICU, Laboratory Data, Registry
Objective: This study aimed to establish a registry of patients admitted to the COVID-19 ICU ward, in Qom city, Iran.
Methods: This was a retrospective chart review (RCR). The dataset of Longitiduanl laboratory data of Qom COVID-19 Intensive unit care (QCOVICU) was created based on the patients admitted to Shahid Beheshti-Amir al-Momenin Hospital of Qom city, in 2021. This registry includes information on COVID-19 patients, whose disease was confirmed based on the RT-PCR of SARS-COV2 between January 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021. Data were retrospectively collected from electronic medical records and medical notes of healthcare providers. The dataset includes age, gender, RT-PCR SARS-COV2 variant, dates of admission, ICU admission, discharge or death, and laboratory data. Laboratory data were collected longitudinally at each time of blood sampling (maximum 10 data for each item of laboratory data), based on the Iranian Health authority provided standard laboratory data request times.
Results: The dataset included a total of 200 patients in 2021, of which 94 were female and 106 were male. The mortality rate was 50.5% (101 deceased, 47 females and 52 males; mean age of 69.12±16.92). CBC data were collected for an average of more than 60 patients each time (10 separate time assessments). ESR, CRP, creatinine, CPK, and LDH were also collected till the 10th serial assessment.
Conclusion: The QCOVICU registry dataset has provided a longitudinal data set of CBC assessments of 200 COVID-19 patients with time-to-event data that could be utilized for survival analyses. Multiple assumptions and hypotheses could be evaluated on this registry data.
Qom University of Medical Sciences.
Conflicts of interest
SM and RT wrote the study protocol, collected datasets and HS, MS, MB, RT, and SM, performed statistical analyses, and wrote the manuscript.
The study was approved by the Institutional Review Board of Qom University of Medical Sciences with the code IR.MUQ.REC.1401.095.
- Alavi-Moghadam M. A Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak from Wuhan City in China, Rapid Need for Emergency Departments Preparedness and Response; a Letter to Editor. Archives of Academic Emergency Medicine 2020; 8(1): p. 2645-4904.
- Al-Mandhari, A., et al. Coronavirus Disease 2019 outbreak: preparedness and readiness of countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. East Mediterr Health J 2020; 26(2): p. 136-137.
- Lai, C. C., et al. Global epidemiology of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): disease incidence, daily cumulative index, mortality, and their association with country healthcare resources and economic status. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020; 55(4): p. 105946.
- Chen W, Zheng KI, Liu S, Yan Z, Xu C, Qiao Z. Plasma CRP level is positively associated with the severity of COVID-19. Annals of clinical microbiology and antimicrobials. 2020 Dec;19:1-7.
- World Health Organization.Director-General's remarks at the media briefing on 2019-nCoV on 11 February 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-sremarksat-the-media-briefing-on-2019-ncov-on-11-february-2020 (Accessed on February 12, 2020).
- Zhou P, Yang XL, Wang XG, Hu B, Zhang L, Zhang W,et al. A pneumonia outbreak associated with a new coronavirusof probable bat origin.Nature. 2020; 579:270.
- Chan JF, Yuan S, Kok KH, et al. A familial cluster of pneumonia associated with the 2019novelcoronavirus indicating person-to-person transmission: a study of a family cluster. Lancet. 2020;395:514-23.
- Majidpour, Zahedi Abakhari, Armin, Rabat Jezi, Sargazi, Saman. Epidemiology, transmission, clinical characteristics, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of covid-19: an updated review. Scientific research monthly of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd. 2022 Feb 15;29(11):4230-54.
- Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients withCOVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020; 395: 1054–62
- Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and Important Lessons From the CoronavirusDisease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China: Summary of a Report of 72 314 Cases Fromthe Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA 2020 ;323(13):1239-1242.
- Liang W, Guan W, Chen R, et al. Cancer patients in SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwideanalysisin China. Lancet Oncol 2020; 21:335
- Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, et al. Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA 2020 ;323(11):1061-1069.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, andTesting Clinical Specimens from Persons Under Investigation (PUIs) for Coronavirus Disease2019 (COVID-19). February 14, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/lab/guidelines-clinical-specimens.html (Accessed on March 15, 2020)
- Jalilvand Hadi, Abdi Mojtabi, Hijazizadeh Nilofar, Jalilvand Alireza, Pourrahimi Matineh, Pirzada Fatemeh, Haghi Fatemeh, Aboljadayel Zahi. Factors affecting hospitalization and length of hospitalization in patients with covid-19
- Ministry of Health, Medical Treatment and Education, Guide to Diagnosis and Treatment of Covid-19 at Outpatient and Inpatient Levels (Version 11) January 1400
- Haghighi, Mohammad, Khoshrang, Ghazanfar Tehran, Aghajanzadeh, Pegah, Jafarinejad, Souri, Zubin, Taqvai Masoumi, Darabipour. Epidemiological, paraclinical and imaging findings of patients with covid-19 hospitalized in the intensive care unit of Rasht hospitals in March 2018. Journal of Gilan University of Medical Sciences. 2021 Jun 10;30(2):84-97
- Ntaios G, Michel P, Georgiopoulos G, Guo Y, Li W, Xiong J, Calleja P, Ostos F, González-Ortega G, Fuentes B, Alonso de Leciñana M. Characteristics and outcomes in patients with COVID-19 and acute ischemic stroke: the global COVID-19 stroke registry. Stroke. 2020 Sep;51(9):e254-8.
- McMahon DE, Gallman AE, Hruza GJ, Rosenbach M, Lipoff JB, Desai SR, French LE, Lim H, Cyster JG, Fox LP, Fassett MS. Long COVID in the skin: a registry analysis of COVID-19 dermatological duration. The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2021 Mar 1;21(3):313-4.
- Karlsen AP, Wiberg S, Laigaard J, Pedersen C, Rokamp KZ, Mathiesen O. A systematic review of trial registry entries for randomized clinical trials investigating COVID-19 medical prevention and treatment. PloS one. 2020 Aug 20;15(8):e0237903.
- Johnson AE, Pollard TJ, Shen L, Lehman LW, Feng M, Ghassemi M, Moody B, Szolovits P, Anthony Celi L, Mark RG. MIMIC-III, a freely accessible critical care database. Scientific data. 2016 May 24;3(1):1-9.
- Chen J, Gao X, Shen S, Xu J, Sun Z, Lin R, Dai Z, Su L, Christiani DC, Chen F, Zhang R. Association of longitudinal platelet count trajectory with ICU mortality: A multi-cohort study. Frontiers in Immunology. 2022;13.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Copyright (c) 2022 Updates in Emergency Medicine Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.